Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Tuesday Evening Poker

Quick rundown of last night's session...
  • FullTilt blows for me lately. Didn't cash in a single thing yesterday, failing in: both the Daily Doubles, the $28k, the $4k HORSE, and the Skillz game.
  • Regarding that Skillz game, evidently I still suck at Stud. While I love me some Razz, I just can't ever seem able to find a comfort level with Stud-high, and last night's Skillz game was definitely no exception.
  • PokerStars rocks for me lately. Was out of all five of my tourneys on FullTilt by 8:30 last night so switched sites to my lesser bankrolled option. Played a ~$12 satellite and an $11-180-peep SnG... took down the Double-Shootout satellite for a $200+$15 seat to Sunday's $1.5 Million Guarantee, and squeaked into the cash in the SnG for a tiny profit.
  • While it's completely irrational for me to justify playing in the big Sunday tournament, given my PStars bankroll is under $200, and I can unregister for $215 in tourney dollars, I still really want to play in the event. The tournament was the source of my biggest online score ever (20 months ago,) and I haven't taken part in this huge Sunday tournament in a long long time. Got plans to play nearly exclusively on PokerStars the rest of this week in hopes of increasing my bankroll there to a point where I could at least feel less guilty for not taking the $T. I got five more days to think about it. We'll see.
  • Got a call early this morning from the poker-incompetent uber-donkey good buddy of mine, HitmanBobby, bragging about his 3rd place finish in FullTilt's Daily Double A last night for ~$1,050! The biggest online score of his brief online poker career! I'm completely happy for him, and ecstatic to hear he finagled his way to a four figure score, albeit I do have to admit a level of astonishment. While the dude's a great friend of mine, our routine poker discussions consistently display his lack of real insight into fundamentals of the game as well as an unwillingness to improve via any other means other than personal experience. Don't get me wrong, I've witnessed him become an exponentially better poker player over the last two years, it's just I was not yet predicting a Final Table finish in a significant MTT... let alone 3rd place finish in a ~1,100-person tourney. (Insert blind squirrel/broken clock analogy here.) Nice work Bob.

Hope everyone's doin' alright in their own adventures on the online felt. 'Til Next time...

...I'm RaisingCayne, and that's news to me.

5 comments:

The NL Wife said...

You know, I'm with Bam Bam . . . its starting to freak me out that you are posting regularly, and this last post was about poker . . . and didn't have any mention of random sexual exploits with women you have no intention of having a relationship with . . .

I'm thoroughly confused.

Lategreatjc said...

I'm done thinking about it. Play in the Sunday million. If you can't afford to lose 12 bucks then you shouldn't be playing. You can run your bank role up by rolling middle school kids for there lunch money again.

Lategreatjc

RaisingCayne said...

I know, I know... VERY unlike me, yes. I'm confident I'll very soon be back to the routine of very rare posts detailing only miscellaneous sexual conquests with zero poker content. :-)

RaisingCayne said...

Solid points JC... 1) I suppose I can try to look at the big Sunday tournament as "~$12 invested" rather than as "a $215 buy-in." (Just don't know if my brain would let me.)

And, 2) Yes, if I go broke I can always go back to rolling fags in the park again... or brutalizing pre-teens out of their allowances during the local Middle School's recess.

Good points...

BamBam said...

Who are you?
And what have you done with RC?

A little 'sensei-hawkins' day...

Ask yourself this question. What did you play the $12 game for? When you first saw the payouts, what was your first thought?

If it was the seat.... play.
If not.... $T

WOW..... did I just offer my $0.02?
TO YOU !!!!